Location: Glossary Of Terms Tel: 01204 659 191

 About Us

We work with the UK's top insurance companies to provide replacement vehicles after accidents making sure innocent parties stay mobile until their own vehicles are repaired or a cheque is received in the cases where their vehicle is written off.
Learn more


Glossary of Terms

We all use abbreviations etc, the world of insurance is no different, it’s complicated enough, so to help you understand some of the terms you may come across here is our guide.

?Approved Repairer
Most insurance companies use approved repairers for all their insurance claims. The benefits this gives insurers is that they can drive the cost of repairs down by directing large volumes of work to a limited number of body repair shops often by allowing the body repairer to only recover a set hourly rate on the parts that it supplies.

Your priorities are often at odds with an insurer in that you want your car repaired to the standard determined by the manufacturer so as not to threaten the residual value when you come to sell it. You have the absolute choice as to who you select to repair your damaged vehicle irrespective of who insurers your car. If you are concerned about the quality of repair it falls to the insurer to negotiate separately with the repairer to agree the repair cost.

?Beyond Economical Repair
This means that it is not financially viable to repair your vehicle

?Courtesy Car
This is a free car provided by the repairing garage. It is usually an A group car such as a Nissan Micra or Ford Ka. Many people believe they have an automatic entitlement to a courtesy car following an accident but they do not unless they have paid an additional premium when they took out their insurance policy. Even then, the car may only be provided if you use the insurer approved repair shop and then only for a limited period of time.
If you are offered a courtesy car and it is not sufficient for your needs ?too small, under powered or not acceptable ?then you are not obliged to accept it.

?Credit Hire Agreement
This agreement states that you accept that you are ultimately responsible for the cost of the replacement vehicle. The agreement allows you a period of credit for the charges of up to 11 months.

?Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency is an Executive Agency of the Department for Transport (DfT) Their primary aims are to facilitate road safety and general law enforcement by maintaining registers of drivers and vehicles and to collect vehicle excise duty (car tax).

An accident repair centre will provide an estimate after they have assessed the damage to the vehicle. The estimate will show the price of the labour and sundries. You will only need to request an estimate if you are insured Third Party Fire and Theft or if you have chosen to use a non-approved repairer.

?Motor Insurance Bureau
This is a body which the government in every European country has to establish and it is funded by all UK insurers as an insurer of last resort. If you are involved in an accident where the third party is not insured then the Motor Insurance Bureau becomes their adopted insurer and the people who will settle claims for damages through the negligence of that uninsured third party driver.

?Policy Excess
When you take out your insurance cover you will have agreed to pay a policy excess amount as a contribution to settling your claim. The reason for insurers wanting a contribution towards the cost of repairs is to prevent people from claiming for minor damage such as broken wing mirror etc.

?Pre-Accident Value
This is a figure which represents what a car was worth before it was involved in an accident. If the potential repair cost is more than 50% of the pre-accident value then your car will probably be deemed beyond economical repair. If you are unsure of your vehicles value check Glasses car guide which all insurance companies and vehicle related companies use.

?Third Party
This term refers to anyone affected by an accident, other than you. It can include drivers and passengers of other cars, or owners of property (for example if you hit a wall).

?Third Party Insurer
The third party insurer is the insurance company that has insured the person responsible for causing the motor accident.

?Third Party Fire & Theft (TPF&T)
If you cause an accident, Third Party Insurance (the minimum required by law) ensures that any other party involved in the accident are protected from loss through your negligence. Any costs to your own car are not covered but, if you have Fire & Theft insurance then you're covered if someone steals your car or if it's damaged by fire. If you have TPF&T your own insurer will never pay to repair the damage to your vehicle if you are involved in an accident.

?Total Loss
This means that it is not financially viable to repair your vehicle.

?Uninsured Loss Recovery
When you have been involved in a non-fault accident you may have incurred other losses other than damage to your vehicle. For example your policy excess, vehicle recovery/ storage costs, loss of earnings, compensation for injury or death.

?Write Off
This means that it is not financially viable to repair your vehicle.

For more information on the service we can provide a brochure
or contact us info@mphassist.co.uk or Tel 01204 659 191.
Click here to view our services 

MPH ASSIST offer a complete and flexible nationwide service for people involved in Non-Fault accidents.

Legal Info | Complaints Procedure

Copyright © 2009-2017, MPH Assist Ltd, All Rights Reserved.
Created by Areapages LTD